ESSENTIAL TOOLS FOR DETOXING THE COLON – PART 1
Learn About Dry Fasting, the famous “Pudding” and Triphala.
The detox journey is not about what you add to your diet but rather, about what you REMOVE. In this article, we will cover three ways to start the elimination protocol. Part 2 will cover the fourth tool in depth – the enema!
1. DRY FASTING
This is fasting without water or food, hence the name “dry”. During dry fasting, the body goes into the process of AUTOPHAGY, when old/dis-eased cells are used for metabolic water. This process feeds the healthy and strongest cells in the body.
Natural hygienists call this process “being on natures operating table” since it is the highest form of healing. Once rehydrated, the production of stem cells goes up by 300% and human growth hormone production is boosted. This means the body regenerates itself immensely after each dry fasting period. The cleaner the body becomes, the more profound the regeneration during dry fasting.
HOW LONG DO I NEED TO DRY FAST FOR?
You do not need to dry fast for days on end to get the desired effects. It is enough to dry fast daily between 12 to 14 hours and aim for a weekly or bi-monthly dry fast of 24 hours for deeper healing.
Generally, it is not a good idea to dive deep into dry fasting early on as you want to adapt the body slowly. First focus on hydrating the body on a cellular level by removing acids and eating a high fruit diet. It is different if you are suffering from acute or chronic dis-ease, and in this case, it is best to work one on one with a practitioner.
During dry fasting, we can feel great and energetic but then crash once we rehydrate. This is because the body is burning acids and running on adrenalin and once we rehydrate, the process of repair starts. Energy is needed to heal the body and this results in feeling tired.
Another reason not to overdo dry fasting is that this can tax the adrenals. Rather be consistent with your daily drys, than being tempted to “get lots done”.
HEALING INFECTIONS AND MOVING PAST FEAR
I suggest a 36 to 48-hour dry fast with UTI’s or other infections, as a dry fast is the fastest way to allow healing and incineration of dis-ease. Dry fasting also opens up the kidneys and forces them to filter out lymphatic waste which is crucial to our deepest healing. A dull kidney / lower back ache is quite common during dry fasting, especially when attempting the 24+ dry fasts.
Also feel into the emotion of fear which the kidneys hold – a lot of our fear is trapped in our tissue. You may have heard the expression “the issue is in the tissue”- it literally is. That is where practices like the breath of fire from kundalini yoga, as well kundalini kriyas come in handy. TRE is a valuable modality too. By allowing the body to shake we can release the trapped energy that is there. When we are stuck in fear we cannot be in love, and fear leaves no room for wisdom. Once we know that, we can do what it takes to get ourselves out of fear and back into a state of love and connected to our Divinity.
QUESTIONS TO CONTEMPLATE AS YOU DRY FAST
· What assists you in remembering that you are a Divine Being?
· What practices connect you to your joy?
· How do you avoid feeling your joy?
· In what ways do you remain stuck in fear longer than necessary?
Sit with these questions – don’t try to answer them from your mind but rather feel into them and allow the answer to come to you.
For more information read here.
2. THE “PUDDING” AS A BINDER FOR TOXINS
We use what is called “the pudding” as a way of binding toxins and to dislodge the obstruction that lives in the colon (more on this in Part 2).
Mix 1 tbsp of psyllium husk with 1/2 tsp of activated charcoal and 1/2 tsp of bentonite clay into a cup of water or grape juice.
I like to mix in grape juice and eat it like a pudding.
· The psyllium husk is basically just fibre that expands in the colon and acts as a broom to sweep all the toxins out that have been loosened/scrubbed up by the fruit.
· The activated charcoal and bentonite clay act as binders for various toxins as they soak up and magnetise heavy metals, acids etc. Activated charcoal is also very healing on the gut and colon.
· Bentonite clay adds minerals to the body and alkalises the body.
We use The Pudding when engaging in a lot of fruit fasting, dry fasting and when going deeper into fasting to assist with the binding of toxins. The pudding can be helpful at the beginning stages as it draws out impurities. Try and see the effects and then learn to use it as you go. You can potentially take it indefinitely but intermittently the body will tell you it’s time to stop. Start up again when you want to dig deeper. I recommend taking it for a month at a time and then seeing how you go.
The best time to take it is first thing in the morning after break-fast or just before bed – just keep in mind it needs to be taken 45 min away from other tinctures and herbs.
Triphala is an herbal concoction that’s been used for thousands of years in Ayurveda. Traditionally used as a bowel tonic, it’s often prescribed as a mild laxative. But while its laxative qualities are most widely known, the other benefits of this herb are perhaps even more noteworthy.
To understand Triphala’s impact, you can look at its contents and their effects on the body. The name Triphala means “the three fruits” and it’s comprised of the Indian fruits amalaki, haritaki, and bibhitaki.
Amalaki (emblica officinalis) is an Ayurvedic treasure in itself and widely used. This little berry, the Indian gooseberry, has been one of Ayurveda’s prized rejuvenators since ancient times. It’s been shown to help lower cholesterol and is loaded with vitamin C which again, makes it a powerful lymphcleanser. It also promotes healing of the nervous system.
Haritaki (terminalia chebula) is known as the Ayurvedic “King of Herbs” and the nectar of the Gods.
There are two main categories of benefits:
1. Physical Benefits
2. Spiritual/Mystical benefits
Many of the physical benefits come from the effects that Haritaki has on the gastro-intestinal tract. As science is proving, a vibrant healthy stomach and intestinal tract means that all the organs such as the liver and kidneys are receiving toxin free content for them to work with. This, in turn, means that the rest of the body receives blood that has nutritional value, and therefore enhances optimal performance.
When the body is receiving blood that is at optimal nutrition, then there are many results.
Here Are Some Of The More Specific Benefits of Haritaki:
- Reduction in constipation
- Purification of the digestive system. Haritaki contains Tannin, which aids in detoxification and cleansing.
- Cleansing of the urinary tract so that infections are reduced and the risk is eliminated.
- Haritaki aids in the treatment of Diabetes. One of the benefits of haritaki is that it contains chebulic acid, which increases the very vital production of insulin which is generated by the pancreas gland. This has the effect of lowering blood sugar levels throughout the body.
- Skin problems. Haritaki benefits the skin by being a cleanser. Just as it works on the intestines, so it works on the face, rejuvenating skin and clearing acne. It also works on rashes, sunburn and eczema.
- Heart conditions. As the purity of the blood increases, the heart muscles grow stronger. The clean blood has the effect of stopping the build-up of fat in the artery, especially the coronary artery. When these effects take place, they lead to a reduction in blood pressure, a strong heart and clear arteries.
- Helps people with enlarged livers caused by such issues as alcohol, and those suffering from the likelihood of developing jaundice or hepatitis.
- Enhances digestion and increases the absorption of nutrients.
- Reduce excessive acidity and can help prevent stomach ulcers.
- Considered a premier detoxifier and blood builder in Ayurveda.
- A rich source of antioxidants that protect your body from serious diseases.
- Found to lower blood sugar levels and increase insulin sensitivity.
- Often used to treat mouth ulcers and gum disease.
- Recommended for acne, hair loss and dandruff.
- Enhances oxygenation of the blood by 300%
- Decalcifies the pineal gland/third eye
If you want to look into taking Haritaki on its own, I highly recommend it as a powerful tool to further activate you on this journey of enLightenment you can read about it here http://nithyanandatimes.org/haritaki-the-wonder-fruit/
Bibhitaki (terminalia belerica) is another powerful ancient rejuvenator with detoxifying qualities on the blood, muscles, and fatty tissue of the body. Bibhitaki is very useful with conditions involving excess mucous in the system and is also good for quality bone formation. This fruit is known as “the one who keeps away disease” owing its name to the multiple benefits it has on stagnant energy.
The biggest impact of TRIPHALA is perhaps the health benefits as they relate to digestion. This mixture encourages balanced, full elimination, by pulling stagnated Ama or toxic residue from the digestive tract and increasing the colon’s absorption functions.
Basically, Triphala promotes digestive regularity. The importance of this cannot be understated, especially for those who suffer from irregular elimination and other forms of bowel disease. I like to include it as part of the detoxification program in its beginning stages as a tool to remove a good bulk of the stagnation. It is safe to take daily and is non-habit forming -you will feel into when it is enough and time to take a break and when to use it again.
It is best taken in powder form, 1 tsp in warm water before commencing your period of dry-fasting or as break-fast before other juice.